The idea of Gomez and Sullivan Engineers became a reality in February 1993. Founding principals Jerry Gomez and Tom Sullivan planned to create a successful water resources engineering and environmental science firm by providing quality consulting services and maintaining a strong client base. The original two home office locations – one in Utica, NY, and the other in Weare, NH – were based in Jerry and Tom’s respective homes with the help and support of their wives and young families as well as the first official employee, Mark Wamser. Later that year and in early 1994, the steady growth of the company made it necessary for office space to be acquired in downtown Utica and in Dunbarton, NH. This growth has continued over the past 20+ years allowing GSE to open locations in Buffalo, NY in 2004 and in Albany, NY in 2013 as well as relocating the NH office to Henniker for additional space in 2009.
Over 20 years after opening its doors, Gomez and Sullivan has grown both physically and in its professional capabilities. We currently employ approximately 50 full-time, part-time, and casual employees as well as seasonal interns in four different office locations with some employees working remotely in other areas. Our capabilities have expanded to include a multitude of services in the dam safety, hydropower licensing and compliance, engineering, stream and habitat restoration, hydrology and hydraulics, fisheries and fish passage, environmental studies, and information management fields with employees specializing in over 15 different disciplines. The continued support of our families, employees, clients, and colleagues in the water resource, energy, and environmental science sectors have allowed us to flourish and we look forward to everything the future has in store for Gomez and Sullivan Engineers.
Our staff have completed the following notable accomplishments over the past 25+ years:
- Over 100 dams have been inspected and evaluated by Gomez and Sullivan staff.
- Been responsible for the investigation, design and construction oversight for the rehabilitation of more than 60 dams.
- Performed various aspects of the engineering and environmental evaluations and permitting associated with hydroelectric licensing on more than 100 projects, with installed capacities ranging from less than 1 MW to over 2,000 MW.
- Over 500 stream miles have been studied by GSE staff in the development of new hydrologic and hydraulic models for Flood Insurance Studies.
- Assessed the removal of over 20 dams throughout New England and New York.
- Flood Insurance Rate Maps have been developed for over 780 stream miles using digital topographic models and GIS software.
- Well over 100 hydraulic/hydrologic studies have been performed by our staff.
- We have performed over 100 Dam Break/Inflow Design Flood Studies, as well as the preparation of 75+ Emergency Action Plans.