Reward yourself—work for a company that appreciates you.
Do you enjoy challenging work and project variety? Are you interested in applying your talents to formulate innovative solutions for the water resource and energy sectors?
If so, Gomez and Sullivan Engineers would like to hear from you. We are a small, growing water resources consulting firm with a national reputation for excellence.We are seeking motivated individuals committed to continuing this tradition. Our company has an immediate opening for a Civil/Water Resources Engineer with experience in hydrologic and hydraulic modeling for watershed, river, reservoir, and dam safety studies at our Albany, NY office. This office is located in New York’s Capital District, the center of New York’s Tech Valley. The area offers a mix of affordable city, suburban, and country living options; excellent schools and colleges; and a variety of arts, cultural, entertainment, and sporting venues. Outdoor recreational opportunities can be found nearby in all directions in the Catskill, Adirondack, Taconic, Berkshire, and Green Mountains and their many streams and lakes.
Our New York and New Hampshire offices comprise a multi-disciplined team of engineers, scientists, technicians, and support staff that promotes close coordination and team building. The company is employee-focused and encourages an atmosphere of continued learning, exposure to a wide variety of project responsibilities, and frequent interaction with the firm’s principals.
Hydrology and hydraulics are key elements of our nation’s renewable energy sector. Real-time flood forecasting, computational fluid dynamics modeling for hydraulic structures, large river basin runoff modeling, dam break analysis, and two-dimensional riverine hydraulic modeling are just a few of the exciting water resources engineering services we provide. Our company is seeking a committed, detail-oriented individual who will be able to utilize their knowledge and experience, as well as current software technologies, for our clients’ immediate and future projects.
- Hydraulic modeling using HEC-RAS, as well as 2D and 3D models, for flood warning systems, floodplain mapping, dam break analyses, river restoration and dam removal projects, dam safety and rehabilitation studies, etc.
- Hydrologic modeling using HEC-HMS or similar to develop flows for hydraulic models
- Operations modeling and energy analyses using HEC-ResSim or similar for the development, upgrading, or relicensing of hydroelectric projects
- Water quality analyses
- Data analysis and mapping using ArcGIS
- Field data collection and post-processing of field data
- Participation in technical discussions with regulators and clients
- Technical writing for project documents
- Assistance with development of proposals and cost estimates
- BS in civil, hydraulic, or environmental engineering or other appropriate field (MS preferred)
- 2 to 4 years of experience preferred; fewer than 2 years experience with a Master’s degree and applicable internship or project experience will also be considered
- Registered as a Professional Engineer (preferred) or Engineer in Training (minimum) and committed to maintaining registrations in multiple northeast and mid-Atlantic states to support our regional business practice
- Strong understanding of hydrologic and hydraulic processes and technical experience with:
- Hydrologic modeling software such as HEC-HMS, HydroCAD, TR-20, TR-55, or similar
- Hydraulic modeling software such as HEC-RAS, MIKE11, or similar
- GIS (e.g., general understanding of spatial data, ArcGIS or open source GIS, GIS scripting)
- Additional experience with any of the following a plus: AutoCAD, computer programming/ scripting, operations modeling, hydropower, fish passage, flood control, sediment transport, snowmelt, meteorology, real-time flood forecasting models, topographic and bathymetric surveying, water quality sampling and analysis, natural sciences
Gomez and Sullivan offers a competitive benefits package including medical insurance (cost shared) for all regular full-time employees and their families, long-term disability, education assistance programs, plus 401K and profit sharing. We are a business with a firm belief in treating our team members as well as we treat our clients, and we maintain a personable, positive work environment.
Gomez and Sullivan has been providing specialized engineering, environmental science, and data management solutions to the water resource and energy sectors since 1993. Our staff of approximately 50 individuals based in New York (Utica, Buffalo, Albany) and New Hampshire (Henniker) includes water resource, civil, structural, geotechnical, mechanical, and environmental engineers, as well as environmental scientists, regulatory specialists, ecologists, fisheries biologists, hydrogeologists, geologists, geomorphologists, and GIS specialists. Our core services include dam safety, engineering, hydropower licensing, environmental studies, hydrology and hydraulics, fisheries & fish passage, stream & habitat restoration, and information management and geographic information systems. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer