Reward yourself—work for a company that appreciates you.
Do you enjoy challenging work and project variety? Are you interested in applying your talents to formulate innovative solutions for the water resource and energy sectors?
If so, Gomez and Sullivan Engineers would like to hear from you. We are a small, growing water resources consulting firm with a national reputation for excellence. We are seeking motivated individuals committed to continuing this tradition. Our company has an immediate opening for a Civil/Water Resources Engineer with experience in hydrologic and hydraulic modeling for watershed, river, reservoir, and dam studies at our Utica, NY office.
Utica offers reasonable costs of living, affordable housing (approximately $150K for a 3-bedroom, 2-bath home), a variety of restaurants and shops, excellent schools and colleges, many cultural events, as well as great outdoor recreational opportunities nearby in the Adirondacks, Finger Lakes, Catskills, and beyond. In addition to local recreation, several PGA golf courses as well as prominent downhill ski areas are located within a two-hour drive from Utica. Although the region is rich in picturesque charm, several destination cities—such as New York, Boston, Philadelphia, Montreal, and Toronto—are located within a half-day’s drive.
Our Utica office comprises a multi-disciplined team of civil, water resources, and structural engineers as well as support staff. Our small-office setting promotes close coordination and team building, as well as frequent interaction with the firm’s principals. The company is employee-focused and encourages an atmosphere of continued learning, collaboration between offices, and exposure to a wide variety of project responsibilities.
Hydrology and hydraulics are key elements of our nation’s renewable energy sector. Real-time flood forecasting, computational fluid dynamics modeling for hydraulic structures, large river basin runoff modeling, dam break analysis, and two-dimensional riverine hydraulic modeling are just a few of the exciting water resources engineering services we provide. Our company is seeking a committed, detail-oriented individual who will be able to utilize their knowledge and experience, as well as current software technologies, for our clients’ immediate and future projects.
- Hydraulic modeling using HEC-RAS/GeoRAS, as well as 2D and 3D models, for floodplain mapping, dam break analyses, river restoration and dam removal projects, dam safety and rehabilitation studies, etc.
- Hydrologic modeling using HEC-HMS/GeoHMS or similar to develop flows for hydraulic models
- Operations modeling and energy analyses using HEC-ResSim or similar for the development, upgrading, or relicensing of hydroelectric projects
- Lead technical discussions with regulators and clients as well as at public meetings
- Technical writing for project documents, as well as review of junior engineers’ technical writing
- Technical guidance and mentoring for junior engineers in their project work and development
- Marketing of professional services, proposal writing, cost estimating, and project scheduling
- Project management
- BS in civil engineering or other appropriate field (MS preferred)
- Registered as a Professional Engineer and committed to maintaining registrations in multiple northeast and mid-Atlantic states to support our regional business practice
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- 5 to 15 years of experience preferred
- H&H technical background and familiarity with:
- Hydrologic modeling software such as HEC-HMS, HydroCAD, TR-20, TR-55, or similar
- Hydraulic modeling software such as HEC-RAS, MIKE, River2D, Flow-3D, or similar
- Dam safety, hydropower, flood control, and/or fish passage experience desired
- Additional experience with any of the following a plus: 2D, CFD, and/or operations modeling, AutoCAD, sedimentation, natural channel design, streambank protection, storm drainage, snowmelt, meteorology, geotechnical analysis/design, survey and bathymetry, natural sciences
Gomez and Sullivan offers a competitive benefits package including medical insurance (cost shared) for all regular full-time employees and their families, long-term disability, education assistance programs, plus 401K and profit sharing. We are a business with a firm belief in treating our team members as well as we treat our clients, and we maintain a personable, positive work environment.
Gomez and Sullivan has been providing specialized engineering, environmental science, and data management solutions to the water resource and energy sectors since 1993. Our staff of approximately 50 individuals based in New York (Utica, Williamsville, Albany) and New Hampshire (Henniker) includes water resource, civil, structural, geotechnical, mechanical, electrical, and environmental engineers, as well as environmental scientists, regulatory specialists, ecologists, fisheries biologists, hydrogeologists, geologists, geomorphologists, and GIS specialists. Our core services include dam safety, engineering, hydropower licensing, environmental studies, hydrology and hydraulics, fisheries & fish passage, stream & habitat restoration, and information management and geographic information systems. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer.