Reward yourself—work for a company that appreciates you.
Do you enjoy challenging work and project variety? Are you interested in applying your talents to design innovative solutions for the water resource and energy sectors?
If so, Gomez and Sullivan Engineers would like to hear from you. We have a growing regional practice in the Northeast and a national reputation for excellence in engineering relative to dams and hydropower projects. We are seeking motivated individuals committed to continuing this tradition. Our company has an immediate opening for a Senior Dam Safety Engineer at our Utica, NY office.
Utica offers reasonable costs of living, affordable housing (approximately $150K for a 3-bedroom, 2-bath home), a variety of restaurants and shops, excellent schools and colleges, many cultural events, as well as great outdoor recreational opportunities nearby in the Adirondacks, Finger Lakes, Catskills, and beyond. In addition to local recreation, several PGA golf courses as well as prominent downhill ski areas are located within a two-hour drive from Utica. Although the region is rich in picturesque charm, several destination cities—such as New York, Boston, Philadelphia, Montreal, and Toronto—are located within a half-day’s drive.
Our Utica office comprises a multi-disciplined team of civil, water resources, and structural engineers as well as support staff. Our small-office setting promotes close coordination and team building, as well as frequent interaction with the firm’s principals. The company is employee-focused and encourages an atmosphere of continued learning, collaboration between offices, and exposure to a wide variety of project responsibilities.
The ideal candidate will be a Professional Engineer with a strong background in the geotechnical aspects of dam safety evaluations and design. Approval as a FERC Part 12 Independent Consultant or the requisite experience to qualify for approval is desirable. Geotechnical evaluation, design, and rehabilitation of hydropower plants and dams, water control structures, penstocks, and fish passage facilities are just a few of the exciting civil engineering services we provide. We are seeking a committed, detail-oriented individual who will be able to utilize their knowledge, experience, and current software technologies for our clients’ immediate and future projects.
- Project management
- Dam safety evaluations and design, including assistance with FERC Part 12 inspections
- Geotechnical evaluation of earthen dams (large and small) as well as civil works projects
- Development of geotechnical monitoring and testing programs as well as analysis of results
- Development and/or review of construction sequencing, design plans and specifications, and permit applications for dam-related civil projects
- Lead technical discussions with regulators and clients as well as at public meetings
- Technical writing for project documents, as well as review of other engineers’ technical writing
- Technical guidance and mentoring for other engineers in their project work and development
- Marketing of professional services, proposal writing, cost estimating, and project scheduling
- BS in civil engineering or other appropriate field (MS preferred)
- Registered as a Professional Engineer and committed to maintaining registrations in multiple northeastern states to support our regional business practice
- Qualified to become a FERC Part 12 inspector immediately, if not already approved
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- 20+ years of experience preferred in the following areas:
- Project management
- Geotechnical engineering related to dams and water retaining structures
- Dam safety evaluations and design
- Client interaction and staff mentoring
- Proposal development
- Familiarity with federal and state dam safety standards/guidelines is desirable
- Experience with hydrology/hydraulics and/or structural engineering a plus
- Proficient with:
- Design software such as AutoCAD, GeoStudio (SLOPE/W, etc.), AllPile, Rocscience, etc.
- MS Office software
Gomez and Sullivan offers a competitive benefits package including medical insurance (cost shared) for all regular full-time employees and their families, long-term disability, education assistance programs, plus 401K and profit sharing. We are a business with a firm belief in treating our team members as well as we treat our clients, and we maintain a personable, positive work environment.
Gomez and Sullivan has been providing specialized engineering, environmental science, and data management solutions to the water resource and energy sectors since 1993. Our staff of approximately 50 individuals based in New York (Utica, Williamsville, Albany) and New Hampshire (Henniker) includes water resource, civil, structural, geotechnical, mechanical, electrical, and environmental engineers, as well as environmental scientists, regulatory specialists, ecologists, fisheries biologists, hydrogeologists, geologists, geomorphologists, and GIS specialists. Our core services include dam safety, engineering, hydropower licensing, environmental studies, hydrology and hydraulics, fisheries & fish passage, stream & habitat restoration, and information management and geographic information systems. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer.